Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Up too late coloring for a long post this week...

Gronk Guest Art:
Last week Katie Cook featured a pinup piece I did for her webcomic Gronk. Katie and her husband Ryan just brought home their first baby and Katie asked for a Guest piece to post for her strip while she is on self-employment-maternity-leave. Wished I had time to do a full strip for her...





Art about Art:
An Art History professor I had did an assignment on the concept of "Art about Art" where you were asked to do some piece of artwork based on another artists' work, or specifically one of their pieces. I made a variable puzzle based on the work of Piet Mondrian. The pieces were all wood, and two sided (sometimes with different colors) and they could be arranged to fit in the frame in a variety of ways. I cut a channel into the frame so that a sheet of plexiglass could be slid in once you had an arrangement you liked for display. I did all this, even though I never had the particular class with that professor that this assignment was given...but I heard him talking about it, and wanted to try my hand at it. The result (these two Mondrian puzzles) were Christmas gifts for my two sisters that year.



Mouse Guard Fan Art:
Denver Brubaker, cartoonist of the webstrip The Checkered Man sent me this great drawing of Kenzie. I really like the feet on Kenzie and also the watercolor background. Thanks Denver!



2011 Appearances
MSU Comics Forum: Jan. 22
C2E2: March 18-22
Phoenix Comic Con: May 26-29
Cherry Capital Con: June 12-13
San Diego Comic Con: July 20-24
Baltimore Comic Con: Aug. 20-21
New York Comic Con: Oct. 14-16

4 comments:

AlphaWolf said...

The fan art this time was pretty cool. The only problem is where is the other arm on Kenzie?! I liked the picture that you drew for Katie Dave!!

Gene Ha said...

Man, you should totally market that Mondrian puzzle idea. Either as is, or as a giant refrigerator magnet set like those old "fridge poetry" sets.

DPetersen said...

AlphaWolf: Thanks! I think Dever was stylizing by having the hand not attached to anything. Sean Cheeks Galoway does the same thing sometimes.

Gene: Thanks! I have no idea how to go about doing that, short of spending hours I don't have in my Dad's woodshop cutting pieces and frames.
You have any ideas for connections?

Denver Brubaker said...

Yeah...the left arm just looked weird at that angle, so I chose to leave it alone as it mirrors the right arm so much and 90% or it is hidden anyway...

Blog Archive